Route Map

Route Map

Sunday, May 16, 2010

South Africa Gives us the Final Test


I’m not sure what I expected as I crossed the border from Namibia into South Africa but whatever I was thinking I was very wrong.  Maybe I thought there would be a 3% downhill grade with tailwinds to Capetown, or maybe a conveyor belt that you get on and put your bike on too and it would magically transport you to Capetown. What South Africa really is to a tired biker is a lot (A LOT) of uphill climbing. We have been averaging 1000 meters up per day, with some descents too, but a whole lot of uphills. My legs are tired, my mind is tired and I feel over the whole biking 100+++kilometers per day thing. I think four months of this lifestyle could quite possibly be my breaking point, but finally Capetown appears like a long lost friend on the road signs. The first time we saw it “Capetown 611km”, it required a double take, as if the place we have been biking towards for the last four months actually exists? Amazing. Definitely picture worthy. Hilarious though that even at this point, so close to the final destination the 611km, is truly just a joke to us, as we have a few more kilometers to go as we have to detour off of the main highway onto more (yes you guessed it-DIRT roads) because bikers are not allowed on this next busy stretch of highway. In two riding days we will be ready to begin the final convoy into the finish line in Capetown. 
There is a mix of anxiety and excitement and exhaustion amongst the riders and a lot of nervousness about returning to regular, real life after this, whatever “real” life is anyways. I am looking forward to seeing my mom and sister at the finish line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment