Route Map

Route Map

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Entering the Home Stretch




It has been a tough week. Actually a tough country, Namibia has challenged me mentally and physically in the final days of the tour. Maybe you could say that Namibia was my “lowest low” (thank goodness I still had some “travelling beans” (Thanks Chris Hatton) to get me through. Not that the dirt was “THAT” hard, but with the combination of the weather, rain, wind, sun and long long days. There were definitely some tears shed. The landscapes were mind-blowing and the country was awe-inspiring however some days the fatigue in my legs and the exhaustion of knowing that camp was still another 9 hours of riding away made the views less impressive. We rode near to the Fish River Canyon (the second largest dry canyon in the world next to the Grand Canyon) and then some riders rode their bikes, I opted for a ride in the jeep to the edge. It was amazing.

The good news about reaching the "lowest low" already is that everything can only get better from there. Therefore I am assured the "highest high" is just around the corner in Capetown on May 15...Yesterday I tried to change my mindset, which was easy to do with the morning vista of riders riding over the crest of a hill with the sunset coming up behind them. The day was our last “mando day” and for good reason with 128km of dirt followed by 46km of pavement against a horrendous headwind. My legs felt tired from the beginning of the day, which is a common thing these days. However I thought that once we got off our final off road stretch things would get easier…Nope. The headwind started and it was late in the afternoon and I could feel the hot Namibian desert sun burning the back of my calf and my lips. I arrived at the junction with the gas station and fast food place (8km from camp…) and a friend had rode back here to wait for me. We had a quick burger and fries and lots of coke and rode the final stretch. Even though it was a very tough day and I rolled into camp as “the slowest rider that rides” as the sun went down minutes later I felt very privileged… Privileged that I was riding my bike from sunrise to sunset, privileged that I had just got the opportunity to see Africa in a way that not many people do and privileged that I could take enough time off of work to get to do these things.

I am anxious and nervous for the end but at the same time ready for the next life adventure and whatever that holds. We still have six riding days into Capetown with some difficult days due to the prevailing headwinds from the coast. Energy levels around camp are low although spirits are high with the end approaching. Winter has definitely made an appearance this last week as long pants, and fingered gloves have again come out of riders bags for the first time since Egypt and Sudan. It no longer feels so hot and humid like Africa and I am looking forward to going back to the summer in Canada. Unlucky for the people from the Southern Hemisphere who have to go back to winter… We are hoping for nice weather in Capetown as then there will be a lot of spectators there to see the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment