Route Map

Route Map

Friday, April 16, 2010

The Long Road to Victoria Falls

We have arrived at Victoria Falls, which for most of us feels like Christmas. It is TWO whole days of rest and relaxation! The most we have had since Arusha (where we were lucky enough to get three!) This is the last stacked rest day until the end, almost exactly one month away. The week was long, the milege continues to increase and we have a whole lotta riding left to do. Exhaustion, a bad chest cold and seriously long days tried to stop me from riding this week, but alas I woke up every morning, got on the bike and spun my legs and cranked those pedals to camp everyday. Even as countless others got on the truck, went ahead to Vic Falls and often led me to being the last into camp each day. The milege this week was long, 152km, 185km and 152km. I was really sick so this didn't make the week easier. It did help me to move the congestion in my chest, as the riding caused me to cough a whole lot. We had a campsite last week that got invaded by ants and everyone woke up in the night covered in biting ants inside the tents...I was really sick so I remember waking up in a sort of feverish dream and having a tonne of ants embedded in my armpit and all over my arms and legs. A couple of riders even left their tents and went to sleep on the truck. It was a long night.

We found this cute little cameleon on the road to Vic Falls and played with him for a little while. It made my riding day, especially since we had some dirt riding to do due to the construction that was going on.

1 comment:

  1. Mom said..
    Ilove the pic of you with the chameleon..so great! Laughed myself silly over Steve's comment about the skirt! I called the hotel on Friday am from my land line-it rang for 3-1/2 min and no-one answered - TIA!

    ReplyDelete