Route Map

Route Map

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Northern Kenya- In like a lion, Out like a Lamb


Today was our last day on “dirt”. The first 7km were on the smoothest, flattest dirt known to man, and then suddenly at 7km, we hit the new pavement!! Freedom, for the first time in days, no matter what was to come on this pavement, we were all in heaven.

This afternoon rolling into Isiolo Kenya, we stopped at the shell station where the local “entrepreneurs” had taken advantage of our dirty dirty bikes and were charging 200 shillings to wash our bikes and bike shoes (about 2.50) Best $2.50 I have ever spent in my life! They rolled the bikes into a puddle and cleaned cleaned away. My shoes have never been so white! And my bike has never been so happy, it was like a little spa day for her since she has worked so so hard over the last two months.

Now we are on our way to Mount Kenya (where I will be thinking about my dear friend Chris Hatton- who has stood on this summit twice!) and to Nunyuki (the equator), where I will also get the privilege of meeting Chris’s dear friend Mathoni who has agreed to come meet me! I am looking forward to this so so much.

1 comment:

  1. SHEESH!Steph. Ya think it might be healthier, faster, and safer to walk C-to-C?
    Great story, though.
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete