Route Map

Route Map

Friday, January 29, 2010

Reflections on Eygpt

I have decided to write some of my reflections of each country that we travel through so I can remember later on. Eygpt is very advanced and thrives on tourism. This is both good for the average tourist and annoying as everyone tries to rip you off all the time. It was worse here than other places I have travelled, but I tried to not let it really affect my experience. Things I will remember about my time in Eygpt are the long paved roads through the sandy desert, seemingly few people except trucks and buses passing by, every single one of them honking and beeping every time they pass. The Red Sea Mountains were incredible, despite the 60km climb, Safaga and the Red Sea coast was worth the long bike ride there. The pyramids, The Valley of the Kings and Abu Simble were breathtaking, hard to really contemplate the amount of work that went into them. The friendly Eygptian people that often only know the word “Welcome” which I think is a pretty good word to know. I loved the horse carriages in Luxor and Aswan and the Turkish coffee that I would often drink along the way.

My confidence has been exponentially increased after riding Eygpt, putting my fears at bay. Most importantly realizing that in fact everything I have done in my life up until this point has prepared me for this trip. The years of camping, discomfort, travel, the ability to be flexible and challenge myself everyday have proven already in the last ten days to be pivotal points to help me through this. My body has been exceptional, injury free and SADDLE SORE free! The unknown ahead excites me and I can hardly believe than only ten days have gone by. The group has bonded over long days in the saddle, early mornings, and learning the ins and outs of packing day in and day out and finding a groove that will last 120 days.

For me, arriving in camp to a hot drink and soup made for me, and no one but myself to set up and get sorted out has been a refreshing change after years of guiding. The day to day is like clockwork for me, and I sit in wonder of how some are coping having only set up a tent for their first time on this trip! Our ability to stay connected in some of the most remote parts of the world still amazes me and makes me feel like the world only continues to get smaller and smaller.

Egypt is now a memory with Sudan next on the list.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steph! Well done for finishing Egypt! Reading your thoughts about was great, keep it up Girl! Sent a few pesos to your charity in honour of you getting through Egypt. I've been passing on your blog to some friends, including another long distance road biker I met here in Mexico...showed him your blog and he was amazed at what you're tackling....

    ReplyDelete